Hands-On Experience in the Classroom for Interns
Our Nature in the City Internship offers a unique, hands-on experience for those interested in learning more about a career in environmental education. Our interns assist Baltimore Woods Nature Center educators with the award-winning Nature in the City program, which links urban schools with neighborhood green spaces through hands-on, minds-on environmental education. Nature in the City introduces Syracuse City School District students, grades K–6, to science in their neighborhoods through a series of classroom and outdoor lessons.
During their internship interns will be responsible for assisting educators with:
- Leading individuals and small groups of students through activities in the classroom & outdoors;
- Encouraging students to participate and stay on task; and
- Carrying and setting up program materials.
At the end of their internship experience interns have the chance to present a lesson under the supervision of a Baltimore Woods staff member. Interns may also write, edit, and create educational materials, and occasionally assist with on-site school visits, public programs, camp, newsletters, special events, and other daily operations at Baltimore Woods Nature Center in Marcellus.
- Flexible schedule. Interns need to be available typically during the school day (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) during the academic year. Hours will vary depending on an individual’s schedule, but interns must commit to at least 15 days. These days can be scheduled during the week over the course of a semester, or in a three-week block in May or June.
- Transportation. Interns need to be able to meet educators at the scheduled school.
- Interns should have or should be working towards a degree in education, environmental science or a related field.
- Syracuse City School District Background Check. Interns will complete this as part of the volunteer application process before being able to work in a classroom.
- Intern Project. Interns will also complete a project that will support the Nature in the City program.
- Internship Credits. If the applicant is interested in receiving college credit, it is up to them to make arrangements through appropriate college offices. Please submit the internship requirements from your school as soon as possible (number of hours/credit, if a project is required, if certain activities must be completed, etc.).
To apply: Please send a resume with references and cover letter to Melissa Kirby at firstname.lastname@example.org.